Blood of the Blaze

Go down

Blood of the Blaze

Post by sucramreverse on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 pm

This is just a rough description of one race I have plans for. It is more of a compilation of my ideas, rather than a clear description.

This is a humanoid species of photosynthetic beings. They are often brown in colour, but can vary from tan to pitch black, usually with lighter skin tones on their face and abdomen. The purpose of this dark skin is to capture the most light possible and store its energy within their bodies. Most of this energy is stored in hairlike follicles, mostly located on their lower limbs. This is to provide easy access of the energy to where it is most needed. The 'hair' is vaguely luminescent, and will shine brighter when the stored energy is being used/discharged. Their large black eyes can also perceive a far broader spectrum of light.

Their home planet circled a once immense blue star, and the animal life on this planet evolved to take advantage of this energy before their plant life counterparts had a chance. The race evolved fairly quickly with no need to compete for resources, and their sentience gave them dominance over the predatory 'plants'. However they are not able to store enough energy for long enough to remain fully ...useful(?) without direct sunlight, their movements and thoughts became slow and lethargic during the night. So they devised technology that would both amplify the light and store it in useful amounts for emergency. However their technology and population soon grew at an alarming rate and a plan was hatched to harvest the maximum amount of energy from their star.

They eventually realized this plan by enclosing their star entirely in their light harvesting technology, focusing it's energy directly to their now multiple planets. They had come to believe that suns were inexhaustible resources, however, they soon learned that their sun was being depleted, quickly, and they were beginning to run low on water. They decided to spare their sun from death, and to set their sights on much richer light sources closer to the center of the galaxy.

Although not inherently violent, due to their lack of conflict among each other, their view of non photosynthetic life is less than respectful at best, and a need for extermination at worst. Relying on light for everything, they soon began to relate suns to life giving gods. When a member of their species dies, it's body discharges all stored light at the moment of death, producing a brief intense flash. they believe that a sun is the death of a god releasing it's enormous amount of energy for eternity. They view life that does not use this light for energy to have been deemed unworthy by the gods to receive it.

Their name comes from their best attempts at translation into our language. Among themselves, they communicate through electromagnetic(light) waves similar to mankind's wireless signals. This was particularly useful during evolution when remaining silent to avoid predators, yet still communicate more than effectively. The best way the "Blood of the Blaze" can communicate to us, or in fact most other species, is through use of our signal receivers. Most have adapted similar technology into translators incorporated into their armour. While it is possible for them to communicate orally, their vestigial vocal chords are ill equipped to produce any coherent sound. However, they can still hear quite well with specially tuned 'hairs' on the sides of their head.

Technology wise, their armour takes advantage of prismatic patterns and material to focus light onto their skin and to special 'battery' packs which store the light energy until later use. Their weapons are mostly a variety of short to mid-range beams, similar to mankind's lasers, but less focused and have more of a 'punch' than cut. When mounted on vehicles they will be powered by huge batteries, but wielded weapons utilize the quick ability to discharge energy from their 'hair' follicles and focus this into a beam. The Blood can also be effective at combat when needed, being able to discharge their energy into their limbs for extremely quick movement, but would rather not resort to this as it could take up a considerable amount of energy and wear them out fairly fast.

They're currently cutting across the galaxies spiral arms in a direct course to some unknown system where they hope to find a suitable new energy source. Unfortunately this direct course takes them rather close to mankind's struggling empire, and right through the front lines of several other xeno battling for territory. This may have been a mistake, but their purpose is one of great importance; they will not go around. And besides, the xeno they encounter should have no right to stop them, not having the Blood of the Blaze.

Wow, that ended up being longer than expected, I think I have written too many essays recently for college and it may be getting to me silent . So any comments? suggestions? is it complete rubbish? Still thinking of what they would call themselves in their own language, even though that would probably just be something like "'~,.,~'`'~,.,~'`'~,.,~'" lol.
sucramreverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blood of the Blaze

Post by S W Dickson on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Interesting concept. I can see some very interesting paintjobs and ideas on this one.

Are we talking bipedal humanoids? Would think they may have advanced sensitivity to light visually (big/many eyes), or do they sense the world purely through their "follicles".

As most of their energy comes from the sun, would they have adapted with hunched backs to collect more at suns apex, or large hairy ears or similar "solar collector". Are they a single genus race, or do you see them as domesticating their wilder cousins of their home?

And most of all, what is their technology base? We know they understand light and radiation - but is that as far as they go? Do they embrace anything else? Are they otherwise making stuff out of wood and leather, or do they know how to synthesise advanced polymers. Are they great artists, or is everything dealt with on a functional level?

That's the questions it throws up for me.
S W Dickson
Admin

View user profile http://herebedragons.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Good questions Very Happy

perhaps I should note that the whole idea for this species comes from something I learned in biology. That the reason chlorophyll is green is not because it's the most efficient pigmentation, but rather it reflected the more useful light from the other photosynthetic creatures below it in the water. In other words, the only reason plants are green is because they were light stealing bastards that forced the rest of us to develop other methods for obtaining energy.

My theory for this race was a simple "what if an animal (or single cell organism without cell walls) won this race for photosynthesis?" and I just took it to the extreme. But I imagined that along with this one change, most other evolutionary advances would still turn out to be the best option.

So yes, I imagined them bipedal. They have eyes which are slightly larger than a humans, pure black and completely taken up by the pupil (no iris etc.). Still two eyes set close at the front of the face for maximum depth perception. They can see a broader spectrum of light than humans, somewhere in the microwaves to somewhere in the ultraviolet waves. This is mostly so they can better seek out useful light, and not much else on the wavelengths can normally penetrate a healthy planet's atmosphere.

I completely forgot about their webbing silent . They actually have some webbed skin on the insides of their joints, mostly the shoulder and elbow. With certain muscles they can stretch out this webbed skin fully (imagine a flying squirrel), or relax it to where it is almost not noticeable. Though this has mostly become unnecessary with the advent of their prismatic suits which are far more efficient than their skin at collecting energy.

I see them as a single genus race themselves, with their population drowning out any other species progress. However they may have lower beings from home as pets and the like, and they have domesticated some of the "plants" for purposes of cleaning their water supply.

Their technology includes everything leading up to being able to make their prism tech. Their prisms themselves are a polymer creation, similar to acrylic glass, but more like rubber physically. They utilize the resources of their home planet's fauna, which can produce anything ranging from wood-like to leather-like, depending on the species. Currently however they don't have easy access to home so have tried utilizing other planets native species for the same purpose...mostly to be confused as to why their brethren on other planets are so quiet and motionless...They have to resort to mostly using polymer creations, which they are very skilled at, and can recycle with high efficiency.

As far as art, as a species they prize function above aesthetics, but both tend to find a place. They take great pride in their creative abilities, but don't have much time to put into useless pictures as it is. However, their most advanced prism designs are functional first, but hold a spiritual value to them, as they live off and worship the light so their designers tend to use them to an artistic end. Even a human can look at one of their temples, or even their armour and consider it a beautiful masterpiece.
sucramreverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:15 pm

You said squirrel - I'm thinking, with your description taking one of these and hitting it full on the face with a sledgehammer!

(not literally of course!)

I can think of few more sinister creatures in the world today. Very alien, especially if they were to be as flexible as these furry buggers. Obviously just as a concept.

content entered on http://herebedragons.darkbb.com by S W Dickson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 UK: Scotland License.
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:04 pm

yeah, just like that except without that much fur, mostly bare skin actually except for limbs and head. and 2 legs..and a flat face...and no tail...and no whiskers...or ears...and about 7 feet taller...but yeah other than all that, exactly the same tongue .

And why would you hit a cute furry woodland animal with a sledgehammer?? Sad

yeah, there are quite a bit of sinister creatures that could be anthropomorphed to be sinister aliens. I try to avoid that though, and go for more of a theoretical difference in evolution...but apparently references to earth's creatures can't be helped. I swear I didn't think of a squirrel until I was describing in my last post....
sucramreverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:25 am

It was the black eyes.

More of an "inspired" by.

content entered on http://herebedragons.darkbb.com by S W Dickson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 UK: Scotland License.
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

a few questions....

Post by Hawk and Dove on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:05 am

ok , there bodies are adapted to use and utilise light..

1. can they bend light ? (in an invisibility type way)
2. if they absorb light, and rely on an almost photosynthesis type process to sustain themselves do they absorb carbon dioxide when the breath ?..do they produce oxygen.
3. can they be starved in a dark room.
4. can they be overloaded with exposure to intense light (flashbangs etc)
5. how would they cope off world?

just a few nosy questions..like the idea.....
Hawk and Dove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:05 pm

1. didn't give thought to this, but I want to say no. Even though now I don't know how to explain this lack...damn that's a huge hole. Maybe this is currently in experiment stage, requiring too much energy better used for other things to employ in battle.

2. carbon dioxide is dependent on the process of green chlorophyll. since this species is unknown as far as what exact pigment or cell process takes place, but is definitely different that earthbound plants, I'd say that it could be any sort of gas that they breathe. Also carbon dioxide is used in a plant to make cellulose, or cell walls, which these guys don't have.
So off hand I'd say it's irrelevant, but maybe they breathe methane or nitrogen, who knows? depends on what their planet has and what their body needs. (Note: I'm not a biology major, this is only highschool biology I am employing here, LOL)

3. Yes, their movement is terribly impeded after just one night in darkness, and they'd only live for 1-2 weeks in total darkness (if completely still to conserve energy). of course what you consider darkness they might consider bright since they can absorb more than just visible light, so it depends on what amount of xray, gamma, microwave radiation is getting through those walls.

4. depends. Their home world's sun by our standards might be considered blinding, so a flashbang might just be a refreshing reminder of home. However if you focused high intensity light on them (say a laser) it would still do damage by cooking their cells, as it would us.

5. Their space ships are equipped to absorb light and illuminate the internals with nourishment. There is actually more light in space than on a planet with no atmosphere to deflect half of it. They do tend to keep closer to suns while travelling though, hopping between them, and relying on reserve energy when out in the deep void.

no problem, I'm still working on a sketch, but have yet to produce anything acceptable. humanoids are my weak point in art.
sucramreverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk and Dove on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 pm

hi,
on point 1....

i would have thought this would have been more of an evolutionary defense mechanism rather than a mechanical (or bio mechanical) invention. Possibly more of a shimmer effect than total invisibility, just enough to distract predators. It may be part of an automatic fight or flight response which they have came to master over time.

It could also be only available to certain "caste" types

anyway just be 2 cents worth

keep up the good work.
Hawk and Dove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:07 pm

well, to be honest the reason I want to reject the idea is because I don't want them to be particularly stealthy in game.

...or like space elves for that matter

Of course, perhaps some specialized group mastered this technique. Nobody's going to stop you from using anything here however you'd like. That's the idea of the project after all Very Happy .
sucramreverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down