...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon Slayers

3 posters

Go down

Dragon Slayers Empty Dragon Slayers

Post by SpaceMonkey Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 am

I thought I might get the ball rolling with some illustrations I did back in 2002. They were both concepts for

Dragon Slayers.

This first one I envisage as being part of a larger unit or team. Wearing heavily padded and fire proof armour he carries lots of tools to help maim or disable the dragon.

Dragon Slayers DragonSlayer853955269034646804320091216200838

This second image is just a run of the mill, steam powered, magically animated, giant with high power lance.

Dragon Slayers DragonSlayerSteam867374826576506547820091216200838

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

Dragon Slayers Empty Re: Dragon Slayers

Post by sucramreverse Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:32 am

That first one cracks me up. Looks like blueprints for some crazy guy to build a suit in his garage. certainly looks more effective than the typical plate armour, but I can just see this guy lumbering up and the dragon just being like, "wtf is this?".

excellent art though, as seems typical of your work Very Happy .
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceMonkey Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:42 am

When I was working on the first guy I thought ‘how would you slay a dragon?’ This creature is going to be big and tough. A couple of arrows are not going to kill this beast. You need something big and serious like a lance to kill it. But not just any lance. In the past they use to hunt tigers with a short stabbing sword/dagger. It had a mechanism that would fan open the blade, after it was plunged into the tiger, thus causing a bigger wound when it was removed. This gave me the idea for the spring loaded lance. But the main problem with dragons is they can breathe fire. You can’t get close enough, to kill it, unless you could survive a good blast from its fiery breath. I thought about the guys working in steel mills, foundries, oil rig fire fighters and welders. They wear loads of leather with padding and protective glasses. If you have any metal, directly on the skin, it would transfer the heat and burn you. So a big shield would be your first line of defence, deflecting the main blast. Then you need to survive the heat as you make your way in. You would probably have to hobble the dragon first, so lots of spiky pointy things that would get into soft spots. Finally you would need loads of padding to survive the teeth and claws. Make it difficult for the dragon to chew you up.

Yes it does look like something you could knock up in your garage at home. Have a look a Troy Hurtubise, a Canadian inventor, who built his Ursa VI bear protection suit.

The second drawing is a being that has a heart of fire and supper heated steam for blood. It is made up of steel and iron. All it needs to do is just get in there and stab the dragon.

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Very nice stuff Spacemonkey. I do like a bit of Heath Robinson style invention. I particularly like the positioning of the Steam Giants bleed tap!

Is it me, or is that Painter I can detect? Or am I imagining things in my art-program addled mind, and you are in fact just very good at line art and use Gouache a lot, and know how to scan properly?

If I do paper art, it always has a tonne of pencil rubs and fingerprints cos I'm a messy bugger. That's why I got into 'puter art and design - much less mess to hoover up!
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

https://herebedragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceMonkey Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 pm

S W Dickson – The placement of the bleed tap seems to be the most logical place to me. Wink
I have played with Painter and it looks like a good program but I don’t tend to use it. These drawings were pen and paper with ink wash, with some touching up in Photoshop. Usual I don’t ink my original penicil drawings directly (you get that smudging problem and if you make a mistake you can destroy them). I place the original penicil drawings on a light box and trace them (onto another sheet of paper) in ink and then do the shading and colouring with inks or acrylics (I’m not a big fan of gouache), or I scan the penicil drawings and do the inking, shading and colouring in Photoshop. I find the computer is very handy for illustration work. The one key thing that has made the computer a viable tool for illustration, for me personally, is my Wacom tablet. I find it imposable to draw with a mouse, unless I’m doing CAD or 3D stuff. 2D stuff the tablet is king.

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum