...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Examples?

2 posters

Go down

Video Examples? Empty Video Examples?

Post by S W Dickson Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:43 pm

This is just a "quick" mock up of a concept I had regarding demonstration of various games. As real video editing and 3D rendering are within most peoples grasp now, and most traditional tabletop companies shy away from sharing rules via YouTube and the like, perhaps it could be something to explore. (Whilst I was kibbling together the postapocalyptic stuff I worked it out) - Anyway - this belongs in here, as it is generic, and purely indicative of a style "possibility". Enjoy the Volley of death. Let the arrows rain down!

(It's a little quick and rough, but I've had various other ideas since beginning the render that a} won't take nearly as long to render and therefore be able to use longer clips and b} be a lot more characterful)
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

https://herebedragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Video Examples? Empty Re: Video Examples?

Post by S W Dickson Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:38 am

Here's a quick concept of what I'm thinking for example illustrations/videos - simple block soldiers coloured red or blue on 3D battlefield. Easy enough to animate without worrying about posing - simple enough to make "new" example models, and clear and concise enough to make good examples.

Video Examples? OQAAADoBlTlOwdMBk7HVVdXhJZq0Zk4cGw-ZMTFcZ6VIe7PFKumQzCcUxAsOXo9_9ejFbuj5PCzjospeLIm1hT76dFgAm1T1UHAbjnEHOd3cicKfAFIBO2MA49Rx
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:25 am

video clip demonstrations would certainly stand out I think...is there any body else that does similar? And once again, you amaze me with your 3D modeling skills.

My only concern is that our rulesets might be too..."living" to have any sort of demonstration be valid for very long. I don't know how long it took you do that short clip, but what if you finish a clip and then that rule changes within the month?

Of course this is only true right now, before we have settled on anything concrete, and it might settle down to where drastic changes aren't made that often. But then again, who knows since we have no idea of what the future looks like for this project. ...I'll stop rambling now.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:27 am

Honestly, with the simplicity of design - the clip took, in all, about six hours of fiddling (and that includes learning about the particle system usage). So not to shabby.

As far as implementation with rules go - I foresee the rules to be "in concept" more solid than most commercial offerings - so initially we may see the majority balance based rewrites - which would require (video wise) little more than tweaking or minor re-rendering - most being able to be text/voice overlaid (if the longer videos illustrate the "concept" being portrayed rather than the specific rule, it would require a less work to repurpose)

Anyway, I'm a firm believer that "Living Rulebooks" are an exercise in futility. How often has chess been rewritten? Once the rules are written, they should remain, in principle for the as long as is feasible. Not to say never, but a perpetually changing ruleset is counterintuitive - especially on a monthly, annual or even decade basis. My crystal ball lets me see the future of -

0 - 6 Months = "Alpha" testing/ Initial writing
6 Months - 1 Year = Public releases, monthly "Beta" versions, with feedback
1 Year = Final release. Version 1.0

Ongoing = collecting Feedback from players, concentration on army lists/campaigns/supplementary material

2-3 years form initial release = Version 2.0 testing and release - maintaining as much compatibility with supplementary material and concepts layed down in version 1 - may add new features.

and with a final release at about the 5-6 year mark. Again, won't make anyone go mad with rule changes, won't make anyone kill the rainforests with printing hard copies.

It also allows a degree of flexibility into other games along the same lines of releasing. Space/Sea battles. 5-10mm games, RPG-like Dungeon Crawlers etc. Possibly other "genre" type games like "DeathScape TV", "AtomBall" etc.

Anyways. Been working on a usable 3D model of a suit of Power Armour. Again, learning lots about Blender in the last few weeks - UV texturing, Subsurfacing, Retopologising and all that other stuff.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 am

Forgive my grammar - I was too busy watching the Simpsons at the same time...
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Six hours isn't too bad. In that case, render away!
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum