...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grimoire website

2 posters

Go down

Grimoire website Empty Grimoire website

Post by sucramreverse Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Just figured I'd start a new thread to summarize the other one, and give a better idea on what's on the to do list.

Green: Done.
Blue: Done coding, but not applied to the site.
Yellow: Working on.
Orange: Not yet started.
Red: Need to research.

• Editing of main pages and notices (welcome page, terms of service, FAQs, etc.)
  • Editing of books (Add/Edit/Delete Pages)
  • book navigation
  • page search
  • user registration (with email activation code)
  • user login/logout
  • user profiles (display/edit)
  • revisions (posting/displaying/voting)
  • comments (posting/displaying)
  • BBCode
  • Image uploading and display (for page illustrations)
  • Finish Comment reporting
  • Finish Hints ( [?] )
  • Post Counts
  • Member List
  • Book Icons
  • Revision reporting and flagging
  • Revision and Comment Editing and Deletion
  • Last Comment/Revision on user profiles
  • Private Messages (send, receive, view, reply)
  • Revision Status suggestions (yellow, red, green)
  • Reply Notifications
  • password reminder
  • Site statistics box
  • PM deletion
  • User set Themes
  • lots of styling and positioning
  • User warning/banning
  • pdf conversion?

Last edited by sucramreverse on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:55 pm; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : Weblink didn't work :D)
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Grimoire website Empty Re: Grimoire website

Post by sucramreverse Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 am

Uploaded the update, and updated first post.

mostly image uploads (book icons, avatars, illustrations) and a member list

and now the to do list is looking rather small, any suggestions?

EDIT: can I get the favicon image so I can add it?
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:50 am

Yep, here it is.

Grimoire website Favico10

Just needs name changed - should be right colour format.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

https://herebedragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:55 am

And as a by, just checked your updated stylings - very cool work. Can't think of any particular additions at this time, it's all quite rockin!

Oh yeah, I added the Grimoire as a link in the navbar.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:44 pm

cool, favicon added.

I'm working on the status changing now. I am thinking that for the revision to be suggested for green or red status the code will get the revisions that have been yellow the longest and compare the vote ratios.

ie, those revisions with enough positive votes compared to negative votes will be put on the list for being turned green.

I am just wondering what that ratio should be. does 3 to 1 sound good? (3 thumbs up for every 1 thumbs down = suggest for green, and vice versa)

of course those with the number of votes being close in number (ie, 10 vs. 9-) will remain yellow
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Another update: admin panel is DONE!

decided to go with the 3:1 ratio as stated in my previous post, can always play with that later.
oh and private messages, except the ability to delete them.

I'm thinking of adding a stats box to the sidebar, with numbers of pages, revisions (each color), comments, and members.
And maybe user warning/banning for the inevitable spamers and trolls.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Another update:
Site Stats on the main page, Notification Messages when someone comments on your revision, and a system for resetting Forgotten Passwords.

Also started on some styling of tables, like the pm page, profiles, and member list.
Tell me what you think of those. They have rounded corners in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Opera and IE still don't support them unfortunately; although they still don't look too terrible without.

As for additions to the list, I'm probably going to add themes as an option in the preferences, and have a theme that is more like this forum's. If you can think of anything else don't be afraid to suggest it; if you can think it, 99% chance I can code it.

EDIT: Added the styling to a whole bunch more tables, mostly admin pages
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 am

Sad Shocked Very Happy

That is very cool looking. Gotta love those rounded corners. Schemes may be a cool option, though I'd refrain from styling the content pages - black on white for "Book" pages seems the best option.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm

haha, I think the smiley you're looking for is:

Grimoire website Notawesomesmiley.th

Thanks though, I was worried I was going too far into my own tastes.

I think you're right about the black on white for content pages, I tried the white on black and it just doesn't look right.

Now the question is what would be the best way to ban users? I think that just not letting offensive users login (and therefore no ability to post) would be sufficient, however if we just ban the account then the user could make a different one for as many e-mails as they have. So then I was thinking IP banning (which is how I've done it in the past), but that's not very reliable with the typical person having a dynamic IP address, and the possibility of multiple users sharing a computer (ie library). So....I'm a bit stumped as far as that goes...

EDIT: also, this site is first on google if you search "grimoire of war", and on the 4th page if you search "grimoire of"

Update: PM/Notification deletion, user 'schemes' (in user preferences)
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Yay, I was all emotional - it looks so darn cool. That's the emoticon i was after.

I was thinking as to the Grimoire of War name too - think its rather cool and a bit more catchy than "here be..." and as virtually all the decent suffixes are taken with "here be" (.org, .com), mayhaps it should be universally adopted.

Not sure how much it costs for registration in the US, but if we were to get the .com and .org it'd cost about £150 for ten years - which wouldn't be too bad. (I think I paid about £80 for two years a few years back). But it may be worth while - especially if we can "sell" stuff on it to keep things running. Heck, I'm not adverse to the idea that someday we may have to jack in day jobs and make a job of it - not sure exactly what kind of business model that'd be in this climate.

Imagine a business meeting with investors...

Not sure of any CC books for sale so far done on a large scale. Perhaps people would be willing to buy nicely bound books with nice artwork. I just don't want to make anyone buy a book just to play a game - it's hard enough having to buy the models. And the "service charge" of book updates.

The cool thing with the CC -NC license is that we can decide if we want to do anything commercial with it. If we decide to sell stuff, it's not against the law as it's our copy. (CC is just an informal copyright clarification of intent not to arrest someone for copying something you've made - the only commercial deal we can't make is an "exclusive" one - if we were to print and sell copies of the books, and say, Harper Collins wanted to offer us an "exclusive" contract for them to publish and distribute, we couldn't say yes as it would already have been pubished under a Share-alike license.

Anyways. The reason I'm garbling on about that is plainly because I can't wait to get some more stuff written, get it pageset, out to PDF, take my USB to the printers and get a bound copy made for myself. Nothing quite like hardcopy. (Guess what I did at Uni? Yep, Graphic Reproduction, Typesetting and Printing). I do miss the old programs - Freehand, Pagemaker, heck even Quark! It's all so sloooow these days.

I miss Mac OS 7.6!
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:32 pm

hm, well the current domain is 1-year, I can get a 10-year domain for $75 (~50 pounds). More Important is the hosting, which is gonna expire in 2 months since I only paid out to 6 months. it's $4.99/mo (~3 pounds, for the cheapest on godaddy) which adds up.

I think it'd be a good to have an online store to sell nice bound and covered copies, and whatever else we see fit. Not really to make profit, but just to cover the costs of running the stuff.

I doubt we'd be able to make dayjobs out of this, it's just not the right kind of site. like you said, imagine a meeting with investors...However I'm perfectly happy with giving my time when I can, this is my hobby after all. (The amount of work done I've done on that site so far could easily be valued at $1500, but I don't care because it's what I love to do)

On a side note, my uncle owns a machine shop for making plastic injection molds. There is a potential that we could produce more than just books.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 am

Drool, plasctic models - I'll admit, I've been lazy recently with regard to that particular aspect of hobby recently - been too busy working on all the other arty stuff - I'd hate to think how many man-hours went into that so far!

On a side - I ain't even read a proper book in two months! Been trying to keep my mind free of external influences (Last read Joe Abercrombies First Law series - worth checking out)

However, yeah, I was just having a bit of a giggle. The reason I set this site up at the free forums is purely because of the untried and unknown aspect of the project. I'm gonna check out the ins and outs of keeping things like this afloat and the open-ness of it. WOuldn't want it to bloom into a taxable business without there being an actual worthwhile revenue stream to make the additional hard work required worthwhile, and wouldn't want us to get whacked individually for extra tax/whatever just for having an enterprising hobby. Perhaps rushing through a 1st version of the rules and supplement over the next 30 days may give us enough of a "product" to make us visible enough for people to want to fund the development in one or more of these ways -

a) Supplier Advertising - Third parties (model manufacturers, hobby stores etc) advertise on web-page for revenue.
b) Accessories Marketing Sales - T-shirts, badges, Pencils, and stuff - nothing necessary for the game - a kind of show your support purchase for visitors and developers. (Third party webstores?)
c) Final Product Deluxe packs - A lot more development (time) required for this kind of thing, but possibly limited-run, deluxe bound versions of books/games.
d) Game Accessories - Third party resell at small profit - sell branded or non-branded dice, tape measures, bases, modelling clay etc. As it is third party resell however, this would be the closest to real business.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:28 am

Found a prob with the "herebe" theme - the Amberish link colour clashes with the Parchment background - maybe a darker brown?

Maybe #565645 Hex.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:44 pm

sooo...pretty quiet around here...hmm...*twiddles thumbs*
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:56 am

Yeah, been board building and on holiday - gonna make some real progress to rules soon - Just something nicer about an actual board to play on. It was also my birthday and been playing FFXIII for a week solid - shame that it's not that good compared to the other ones.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Ah, I forgot about FF13. If I had a console to play it on I'd probably be playing it too. Though I doubt they'll ever beat FF7, unless they ever break down and remake it of course.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Heck, I'd give in for a remake of X over this one. Okay, it's not as bad as X-2, but at least that was shiny - this is the wrong shade of brown - too "meh" for me. Not grim, not dark, not shiny and cheesy, just a kind of nondiscriptness in between.

VII was great. And the twitterverse is still echoing of a new hope of VII being remade. They're teasing us I tell you. As long as it's not the same team that did Advent Children. It was pretty, but that's pretty much where it ended. I reckon Squeenix need to have a long hard look at what they're making these days - the best they've done recently is the re-releases of FFIII and FFV on DS - they didn't muck about with them. Sometimes its best just to let things be - progress ain't always good.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Advent Children was just a CGI showcase in my opinion. Just something they used to show off how good they have gotten with graphics. All well and good, and I really enjoyed the action scenes. Now apply that coat of paint over FF7 and I'm sold. Of course they should tweak it a bit as well to bring something new, but there is a fine balance between new and old that remakes always just barely miss (I'm looking at you, pokemans).
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Tomb Raider Anniversary was one of the best remakes IMHO. A bit easy - but that's mainly the fact I played it to death the first time round. But they didn't change too much whilst refreshing the format slightly. What would be required in VII is very little - they could get away with no prerendered cutscenes, redo the chocobo racing slightly (it's a tad easy with the right Chocobo) - but they could keep the 2.5D element "mastered" with Final Fantasy X. The constant Lara Croft view is fine for some games, but the cinematic wideshots is what made VII originally.

Anyhoo - I've begun making tables for character creation for Paradigm (and possibly others) - just to get an idea for balance. Just checking out how to upload them without knacking about with BBCode stylings...
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down