...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Of ancient language and markations -

Go down

Of ancient language and markations - Empty Of ancient language and markations -

Post by S W Dickson Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 pm

The lands we create may be foreign or alien, and they may be hard to describe in your mother tongue - they also appear somewhat unfathomably less alien if one is to simply use terms such as "Big Castle" and "Tree" - henceforth a mighty and noble requirement is undertaken - the crafting of alien tongues and their writing styles.

Primarily, I would like to initially develop an archaic and mystic symbological language for the use of fey creatures and mystical creatures such as daemons and the like - something that may well be recognisable but also accesible.

Secondary, a Runic Nordic script would be nice, a tongue for the Dwarven and Northern folk to speak and decorate with. Something based on Futhark certainly, but perhaps a unique Dwarfen version to indicate their obvious age and history.

Tertiary, a form of Newspeak would be nice - something that may well be based on an Earth tongue, but also encompassing many - not so much a progressive or additive language but a destructive bastardisation and amalgum using many phonetic interpretations of many words. Used in the "future" as a trade language or common tongue, it is a commonly used method of communication. Should be interesting - I'll have a look at some demographics to see how many words i need to work out for a dictionary/rosetta stone for this.

So, there's that. I think quite useful, and with phonetic translation and things could easier give people a fell of stuff without much extra work.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

https://herebedragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Of ancient language and markations - Empty Re: Of ancient language and markations -

Post by S W Dickson Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Okay, so the top percenters are -
Mandarin Chinese 12.44%, Spanish 4.85%, English 4.83%, Arabic 3.25%, Hindi 2.68%, Bengali 2.66%, Portuguese 2.62%, Russian 2.12%, Japanese 1.8%, Standard German 1.33%, Javanese 1.25%

That's 1st language stats from the CIA! Obviously the obvious way to go for "Newspeak" would be bastardise these into a pot and come out with a phonetic horror show of things. The method of sentence construction will be quite hard however as there's not much of a common root in many of these languages. I'm also gonna take some inspiration from Textspeak and such and substitute some phonetic numbers and drop some vowels here and there. Hopefully it could be quite cool and understandable.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Of ancient language and markations - Empty Re: Of ancient language and markations -

Post by S W Dickson Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Okaaaaay - using a latinised alphabet with a Mandarin sentence structure looks interesting - makes it vaguely recognisable whilst being an odd assortment of words. It's a bit "google translate" sounding, but instead of using purestrain english or german or whatever, I'm gonna be replacing a lot of nouns and verbs with verious other phonetic cousins. I may even modify the latin alphabet slightly to include two or three extra letters - or I could always just round it up to 30 by designing some new ones based on some of the other alphabets - for economy of sounds used - no LLs for welsh here. Oh yeah, and accents are I'm afraid - so goodbye umlaut, circumflex and grav - you're too confusing for this. Basic phonetic rules are not bad using latin alphabet, and therefore ambiguous positioning of letters in specific language will be phoneticised, but use of accents and such is out so that's why useful additional letters will be required for sounds not covered.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum